Sunday, January 6, 2008

Places in Chicago

Thank goodness for people who tell it like it is. My husband is one such person - and my friend Louise is another. Louise wrote scathing restaurant reviews in a past life (mine and, I think, hers as well) and took a lot of heat for it. I loved it. With little kids it can be hard to coordinate getting out for the evening and the last thing I ever want is to have overpriced, mediocre food on my plate. When Louise wrote reviews I was at least forewarned. One time I asked her what she knew about a certain Mexican restaurant in town. Her answer: "I know that it sucks."

I'm not interested in writing reviews. But I am a huge champion of great food. The restaurant industry is a tough one. When I have an awesome meal I tend to hype the place. No one should have to eat bad food.

I envision this as an organic list - I'll add to it whenever I'm compelled to promote.

1. India House
59 West Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 645-9500

Two words: Lunch Buffet.

2. Coalfire Pizza
1321 W Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(312) 226-2625

Charred thin crust Pizza - traditional Neopolitan style. BYOB, too.

3. de cero
814 W. Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60607

(312) 455-8114

Love the small soft tacos! My favorite: skirt steak with potatoes, onion, cilantro, lime, and chipotle mayo.

4. Pete's Fresh Market
2526 W Cermak Rd
Chicago, IL 60608

(773) 254-8400

A fantastic grocery store in Pilsen. Pick up great produce, fresh corn tortillas and roast pork.

5. Simply It
2269 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60614
(773) 248-0884

BYOB Vietnamese. The Grilled Salmon Noodles, Sate Shrimp and Grilled Lemongrass Beef are personal favorites.

6. Matchbox
770 North Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(312) 666-9292

Though it's a bar and restaurant (inside a very cool train car, no less!) I've only had drinks here. The pineapple infused vodka gimlet is NOT to be missed.



7. The Spice House
1512 N Wells
Chicago, IL 60610


Great quality and prices on standards like ginger, cinnamon and peppercorns, but don't miss the blended seasonings:  Milwaukee Iron Seasoning, Smoke House Seasoning, Sweet Curry Powder and Back of the Yards Butcher's Rub

1 comment:

Shah ji Spices said...

SHAHJI SPICES - A World of Flavor in Every Pinch - You can contact us for Buy Spices in Bulk.